New SN8700C 16-slot Chassis
Lower TCO with SAN Consolidation
The HPE C-series SN8700C Director Switch lets you easily consolidate data assets into fewer, larger, and more manageable SANs to reduce your hardware footprint and associated Capital Expenditures (CAPEX) and Operating Expenses (OPEX).
It provides up to 24 terabits per second (Tb/s) of FC system bandwidth and 768 (16 slots) or 384 (8 slots) or 192 (4 slots) 16/32/64 Gb/s in a single chassis.
Existing 16/32 Gbps customers can transparently move to 32/64 Gbps speeds without the need for a major equipment upgrade as the 48-port 32 Gbps FC Switching module or 64 Gbps FC Switch module (when available) can easily be inserted into existing HPE C-series SN8700C Directors.
It provides line-rate, nonblocking and predictable performance for all traffic conditions for every port up to the future 64 Gbps speed in the chassis.
It offers VSAN technology, access control lists (ACLs) for hardware-based intelligent frame processing, and fabric-wide quality of service (QoS) enable migration from SAN islands to enterprise wide storage networks.
It provides outstanding high availability, helping ensure that solutions exceed the maximum uptime requirements of today’s most-demanding environments.
The port-channel capability allows you aggregate up to 16 physical links into one logical bundle. The bundle can consist of any speed-matched ports in the chassis, helping ensure that the bundle can remain active in the event of a port or module failure.
With the HPE C-series SN8700C Director Switch, users can add additional Fabric-3 modules to enable N+1 fabric redundancy with no loss of performance.
It provides grid redundancy on the power supply and 1+1 redundant supervisors.
The HPE C-series SN8700C Director Switch offers fully redundant components, including fabric cards, supervisors, and power supplies.
Cisco SAN Insights delivers deep visibility into I/O traffic between the compute and the storage infrastructure. This information is in addition to the already-available visibility obtained from individual ports, switches, servers, virtual machines, and storage arrays.
Cisco Data Center Network Manager Essentials Edition software, included with the switch, provides a centralized management tool with task-based wizards that simplifies management of switches and fabrics. Additional advanced features are available with the DCNM licensed version, sold separately.
The HPE C-series SN8700C Director Switch supports enhanced diagnostic features such as inter-switch link (ISL) and host-bus-adapter (HBA) diagnostics, read diagnostic parameters, link cable beacon, and advanced reliability features such as forward error correction (FEC) with HBA ports.
Fully Integrated SAN Analytics (HPE C-series SAN Insights)
The telemetry data extracted from the inspection of the frame headers are calculated on board (within the director module) and, using an industry-leading open format, can be streamed to any analytics-visualization platform.
SAN Analytics can be integrated with and visualized by using the advanced features of HPE’s Data Center Network Manager.
The HPE C-series SN8700C Director Switch offers state-of-the-art SAN analytics and telemetry capabilities that have been built into this next-generation hardware platform.
It inspects I/O flows to bring out a unified view of the infrastructure irrespective of the architecture or vendor of storage arrays, servers, or operating systems.
- Port speed
- 16/32/64 Gb/s Fibre Channel
- Aggregate switch bandwidth
- 3.5 Tb/s, maximum
- Protocol supported
- Encryption capability
- AES 256-bit
- Availability features
- Equipped with hot swappable redundant 2 SUP-4 modules, six hot swappable redundant Fabric-3 modules (16-slots), three hot swappable redundant Fabric-3 modules ( 8-slost/4-slots), eight 3000W power supplies (16 slots) or six 3000W power supplies (8 slots) or four 3000W power supplies (4 slots)
- Form factor
- 26U for HPE SN8700C 16-slot Director, 14U for HPE SN8700C 8-slot Director, 9U for HPE SN8700C 4-slot Director
- Base units include zero port modules. Ports can be added in 48 port increments, depending on protocol and line speeds required.
- Software (required)
- NX-OS Software Release 6.2.1 or later
- NX-OS Software Release 8.4.1 or later for Supervisor-4/Fabric-3 support
- Software (optional)
- HPE SN8500C/SN8700C Enterprise Package License, HPE SN8500C/SN8700C Data Center Network Manager License, HPE SN8500C/SN8700C Mainframe FICON License
- Product Dimensions (metric)
- 9RU : 39.62 x 43.9 x 81.3 cm
- 14RU: 61.9 x 43.9 x 86.4 cm
- 26RU: 114.9 x 43.9 x 88.9 cm
- Product Dimensions (imperial)
- 9RU: 15.6 x 17.3 x 32.0 in.
- 14RU: 24.35 x 17.3 x 34.0 in.
- 26RU: 45.25 x 17.3 x 35 in.
- SN8700C 4-slot Chassis only: 65.8 kg
- SN8700C 8-slot Chassis only: 84.2 kg
- SN8700C 16-slot Chassis only: 136 kg
- SN8700C 4-slot Chassis only: 145 lb
- SN8700C 8-slot Chassis only: 185.5 lb
- SN8700C 16-slot Chassis only: 300 lb